Friday, September 25, 2009

New Everyday Wine Find!


We found a new everyday wine! It's not only a good wine, but the packaging is downright cute. And, truthfully, that is why I bought it. I figured if the wine was awful I could cook with it.

The wine is Red Truck Mini-Barrel and it's pretty good. It's a smooth, fairly deep red wine with very nice fruit. It's comprised of Syrah, Petite Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Grenache and Mouvedre -- all pretty heavy duty red grapes. It does not have any tannins and no real "finish." Does that matter to me for an everyday wine? Not really.

As I mentioned, the packaging is great. Each mini-barrel holds the equivalent of four bottles of wine so it's eco-friendly. The barrel packaging allegedly keeps the wine fresh up to six weeks after opening. It has not been six weeks yet so I don't know about that - I also don't think the wine will last six weeks given the consumption thus far! I keep mine in the fridge and then just pour a glass and let it warm up a bit to room temperature. Does not take long. You can hurry that process along by cupping your hands around the bowl of the wine glass.

We found it at Costco towards the back of the wine section - paid about $20 for it. Pretty good deal for the equivalent of four bottles of wine.

In terms of wine and food pairing, I have paired it with burgers, pizza and pasta with red sauce. I think it would go well with meatloaf, ribs and other heavier foods now that fall is here.

The Red Truck Mini-Barrel is a great, well-priced everyday wine that is perfect for those times when you don't want to open a whole bottle of wine. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment