Monday, October 5, 2009

Would You Like Some Cheese With Your Wine?


Whenever wine and food pairing comes up, the conversation inevitably turns to cheese and wine pairing. Wine and cheese pair really well together. I hear it all the time so it must be true. Except when it's not.

My favorite cheeses are washed rind cows milk cheeses, the stinkier the better. Cheeses at the top of my list include Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk Cheese and a French cheese called Epoisses. The good news is, these cheeses taste terrific. The bad news is, they don't pair particularly well with wine. My local grocery store actually has a label on the Epoisses that says it pairs with Pinot Noir. I love both Epoisses and Pinot so I was really happy about that. Then I tried it and it just tasted like soap to me. Does that mean I should give up on food and wine pairing when it comes to cheese? No. I just needed to experiment a little.

In general, I have found that Viognier, Marsanne, Roussanne, and Champagne/sparkling wines pair well with the stinky cheeses and triple cream cheeses that we like. As a matter of fact, Champagne/sparkling wine is a great thing to serve with hors d'oeuvres. It's festive and sets the mood for a party and pairs really well with a range of food.

My favorite red wine is Pinot Noir, so I have done some experimenting to try and find a cheese that pairs with it. I have found that Carmody and Rouge et Noir Camenbert both pair well with Pinot.

What cheese and wine pairings do you like?

4 comments:

  1. What would you pair with taleggio? I just bought some today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much the same wines. Taleggio has a similar flavor profile to Epoisses - very stinky! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, great tips. I find that champagne goes with EVERYTHING! I am anxious to buy some of the cheese you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete