Thursday, November 7, 2013

Easy Way to Prep Squash for Roasted Butternut Squash

These are very large squash, I recommend buying small ones
I made roasted butternut squash for the first time the other day. I did a few new things that made the process of prepping it go a lot easier:

#1 I bought very small squash at the grocery store. Since they were small, they were much easier to cut up, especially that critical first cut that goes from top to bottom of the squash.

#2 I used a serrated vegetable peeler to peel the outside. The serrated edge really grabs the peel and moves easily down the curved side of the squash (serrated edge peelers are great for peaches and tomatoes too, so consider adding this to your kitchen tool arsenal).

Once I had my squash cut and peeled, I tossed it with olive oil, kosher salt, long pepper and Penzey’s garlic powder. Then I put it onto a baking sheet that was lined with foil and sprayed with olive oil spray. I baked it at 400 for about 30 minutes.

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. Life has gotten in the way, but I am committed to good food and wine even with a hectic life. I have a lot of ideas for holiday posts and am working on some tips for eating and drinking well even when life is hectic, so watch for those periodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment