I learned the pizza on the grill method from my next door neighbor last summer. It’s pretty easy and it works! It’s more of a method or a process than an actual recipe. I have photos to show you want each step of the way is supposed to look like. Factors such as how thick you roll out your crust, your grill heat, toppings, etc. make it difficult to be exact.
· Prep your ingredients: You’ll need pizza dough and pizza sauce. I typically just buy the sauce and dough. Pizza is supposed to be easy and buying these two ingredients saves a lot of time and work. You’ll also need toppings (meat, vegetables, cheese, etc.) and sauce. Fresh basil and dried oregano are nice to use as a finishing touch.
· Heat your grill to high (we use a gas grill)
· Heat oven to broil
Gather your toolsOld baking sheets are great for transport/baking your pizza and are useful in case you want to cut pizza on sheet. A pizza peel is also helpful for getting the pizza on and off the grill - see below for the pizza peel in action.
1) Shape dough using a small amount of flour. You don't need a rolling pin for this. Just use your fingers to push and pull at it to get it to the desired thickness. As you can see from the photos, we have not yet mastered round pizza - we're working on that.
2) Grill dough on high for a few minutes on one side only
3) Put toppings onto grilled side of the dough
4) Take pizza back out to the grill and grill for 3-5 minutes until the bottom is done - a pizza peel is helpful here (watch it carefully so it does not burn!)
5) Put pizza in the oven under the broiler for about 3 minutes to continue to cook/melt the toppings
6) If desired, top with fresh basil and dried oregano.
7) Slice, eat, enjoy!